Wait… My Skin Type Matters? It absolutely does!
We are all different so, it makes sense we would all have different needs-diet, exercise, lifestyle, etc. These differences include our skin! We all have different types of skin and a different combination of types of skin.
If you choose the wrong soap products, you can actually make your acne worse, increase dryness, or even cause new skin issues. This is part of why it’s so important to know the types of skin you have.
It is absolutely imperative you know your skin type. Once you know your exact skin type, you will know what products you should be searching for. Well, not yet, but that’s what I am here for!
I want you to get the best products for you and your individual needs. In order to do that, I have a great at-home skin test to check your skin type. Let’s make sure you know your skin type so you know what kind of products you should be looking for!
This test will measure the skin’s sebum. That’s the oily substance that comes out of those pores (not sweat). How much sebum your skin produces will determine if your skin is oily, dry, normal, or combination.
- Wash your face with ONLY water and pat dry
- Wait about 30 minutes so your skin can finish drying and replace sebum washed away
- Gently press oil blotting paper, or tissue, to your face and press the paper to different parts of your face (forehead, nose, cheeks, etc.)
- I suggest using a different part of the paper, or a separate piece, for each area
- After blotting, hold the paper up to the light to see how transparent it is. See the chart below for results:
|Test Results||Skin Type|
|No transparency, but with flakes or tight skin||Dry|
|Soaked through the paper||Oily|
|Different levels of absorption||Combination|
|Not too oily and no flakey skin||Normal|
What type of skin you have will change how often you wash your face, how you pick your products, which products you look for, and what steps you take in your skin care routine. It’s a big deal and the older you get, the more of a big deal it is! Still confused? Email me and we can work on it together!